Vietnam’s FPT Software company has asked the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport for authorization to develop, operate and test self-driving automobiles and small trucks in high technology zones and software parks on an experimental basis.
According to documents filed with the government, FPT states that it had been conduction research and studied automobile self-driving technologies during 2016 and 2017, before announcing the first self-driving vehicle in Viet Nam. The company has been operating and testing trams at the FPT Software Park in Da Nang City and self-driving cars around FPT Software Park in Ho Chi Minh City.
The self-driving vehicles that the company has been testing have an average speed of 20 ~ 25kmph and can reach a maximum speed of 40kmph in a straight direction. The vehicles can self-align, turn and avoid obstacles. According to FPT, the vehicles that have been tested have over 1,000 hours of self-steering testing without any problems and have been tested in different weather conditions including sunshine, rain and low light conditions.
FPT said it plans to continue to research, develop and complete the vehicle’s brake and gas controllers, integrate GPS module and navigation system, develop built-in voice response control and upgrade the centralized processors for the vehicles.
Le Hong Viet, FPT’s Chief Technology Officer, said the corporation had invested in self-propelled technology and set a goal to become one of the leading companies in automotive software in the world and that the development and testing of autonomous vehicles is a part of that vision.
Currently, FPT is implementing a number of projects related to autonomous car technology for major customers in the automotive sector. In these projects, FPT has cooperated with customers to research and develop the features of autonomous vehicles including:
(1) Video captures hundred thousand kilometers of highways around the world and is tagged display components. This is a very important stage in the development of artificial intelligence, supporting deep learning.
(2) Developing communication devices (called gateways) of in the vehicle, which will connect the car to the cloud, ensuring that it is always connected to the Internet via 4G / LTE.
(3) Bringing the information collected from the self-driving system (from cameras and sensors) to the cloud for processing centers.
(4) Users can contact the processing center in case if emergency and then rely on the information uploaded on the central server provides a processing direction or the center will automatically propose to the users in case of detecting problems or understanding customers. For example, the center will recommend and send a list of the nearest repair station to the car if it has a problem…
(5) FPT is participating in projects related to communications technology between cars and smart devices through technologies such as V2X and V2Home and will continue research in this area.